This former church nestled on the shores of the deepest loch in the Scottish Borders has been renovated over the last twenty years and now offers a cosy sanctuary only an hour from the outskirts of Edinburgh. It is accessible as it sits on the A707 but feels remote.
It is wonderfully quiet – that’s why even the bell is on the inside of the door! Guests can ring the bell but we suggest that you choose a moment during the daytime to practice.
There are two double bedrooms, a bunk room, an additional sofa bed and plenty of space & light throughout. The conservatory has spectacular views over the loch with a wood burning stove, and the kitchen is well equipped.
Free church – built after disruption 1845 – Thomas Chalmers.
Initially a Free church its walls would have resounded to unaccompanied Psalms led by a presentor and we have met a few local people who were part of various ordinances in the church.
- Parking for 3 cars with 15 steps up to front door
- Front entrance with original church bell
- Main living area is open plan with large dining table made from trees growing on site; 2 sofas; TV with DVD (we do have internet but not broadband so cannot support video streaming so bring any old DVDs you want to watch); writing desk overlooking the loch
- Kitchen area is well equipped with electric cooker, cupboards, small fridge. There is no dishwasher so you may need to re-learn the old art of washing & drying dishes
- Boot room at the back door – Up to 2 well managed dogs are welcome but we request they are not in the bedroom areas
- Laundry is accessed from outside – Large fridge-freezer, washing machine, dryer
- To the other side of the living area is a conservatory with wood burning stove
- Towards the back of the property is a double bedroom, bathroom with toilet, sink, bath and walk-in shower and small bunk room. This room opens into the hallway and into the conservatory but does not have a direct outside window
- Upstairs on the mezzanine floor is a double bed and also a sofa bed. There are windows in the roof giving amazing views of the stars but this area does not have window blinds. There is en-suite with toilet & shower
- Toddlers and young children – the internal staircase is open and cannot be gated and there is a small pond in the garden. The garden is completely fenced and there is a gate from the road but there is a stile over the back fence and a small burn runs just outside the property
- Additional holiday property is available from our friendly neighbours one minute away at https://www.halfhousecottage.co.uk/